BENGALS DRAFT BLOG

BENGALS DRAFT BLOG

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Prospect watch: Patrick Peterson - CB/SAFETY - LSU

With the fourth overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft the Cincinnati Bengals select.......Patrick Peterson, cornerback out of LSU. YES I like the sound of that!


The Bengals 1st round selection has had me confused since the NFL draft order was made final. I am in football love with all the players that are sitting at the top of round one. With difference makers like AJ Green, Nick Fairley, Marcell Dareus, Cam Newton and Da'Quan Bowers sitting there makes million dollar decision hard. No doubt the Bengals should be able to walk away with a great talent regardless but the fear of a bust always looms large for Bengals fans. I have gone back and forth one thousand times trying to figure out who is the perfect fit for the Bengals. I keep coming back to Patrick Peterson. His ability to play the role of shut down corner, roaming safety and his skills as an amazing kick returner makes this versatile talent the right prospect to take with the 4th pick.

The 2010 Bednarik Award Winner (Nation's Top Defender) and the 2010 Thorpe Award (Nation's Top Defensive Back) Peterson is ready to make the leap. He weighs in at 222 pounds and stands 6’1” plus he can fly like the wind when he flips the switch. The three year starter at LSU played in 39 games, starting 30 times. Peterson finished his career one year early collecting 135 tackles, 22 pass breakups and seven interceptions. He scored touchdowns three different ways during his time playing for LSU with punt 2 return touchdowns, an interception returned for 6, and returned a blocked field goal showing off his versatility.

I know we have Jonathan Joseph’s contract to think about as well as Leon Hall’s contract in a year. I agree with most that say you can not have this much payroll dedicated to the secondary. Joseph has been outstanding but his fragile body does concern me when talking about and long term big bucks type of deal. I would let J. Joseph walk if he is asking for the 14 million per year that I have seen reported. If the Bengals do decided to let Joseph test the free agent market I think they should lock up Leon Hall long term. Leon has proven to be more reliable physically and equally as effective at the corner spot. This will give you the room to draft the future star Peterson to patrol the secondary for the next 10 years.

A resourceful playmaker Peterson is the definition of a FREAK talent. The dude has the build of a linebacker, the breakaway speed of Hester and jumps all over balls in the passing game like Ed Reed. I just do not think you can afford to pass on a young man like Patrick if he is still available. He has set a personal goal to run a blazing time of 4.2 in the 40-yard dash at the Combine. If he pulls this off I think his name will spread like wild fire and might tempt a team ahead of the Bengals to make Peterson their choice.

Some fans will ask why change his position from cornerback to Safety? The one knock on Peterson as a player is his lack of fluidly with flipping his hips. You need to be able to flip your hips to cover a wide receiver in the NFL. This is why he usually prefers to play press man coverage. I do not want to ask him to play press man every snap of his NFL career. I want to let his freakish ability flourish and move him to safety. I know there is more value placed on a true shut down corner but Bengals fans as well as anybody should see the value of a talented ball hawking safety. We face the two best in the game 4 times a year in Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. Mike Mayock the best in the business said that Peterson may is better suited to play safety in the NFL and he also said Peterson could play this position at an All-Pro level if he makes the switch.

The kid is explosive and may be considered a boom or bust pick by some but with the guidance of the great Zimmer I am confident he will pay dividends. I think Peterson would be the wise selection for the long run. AJ Green is a very tempting pick here and I think the D-Line prospects are all very interesting choices. I just see something special in Peterson. I think he can come in day one and make this defense more affective and dangerous. I could be reaching for a need but this is my honest choice in round one for the Bengals.


Check out some of his biggest pays in this explosive highlight reel.

No comments:

Post a Comment